Walking taking in a maximum of 16 of London’s bridges with MSSC!
Merton Sports Social Club For Blind And VI next walk is almost upon us and it is a BIG ONE! it is much more of an independent distance walk, taking in a maximum of 16 of London’s bridges, as well as Battersea park, The London Eye, The Millennium bridge and the Tower of London and Tower Bridge.
Starting at Putney Station on the Morning of Saturday 24th March, we will set of in pairs or bigger groups of similar ability on a route that criss-crosses the Thames and, for those with the stamina, will end up at Tower Bridge. You will need good footwear, walking boots or sturdy trainers as the London pavements can take their toll.
As this is an urban walk, we regret to say it is not practical for guide dogs as they will have to remain on the lead all the time and this places much greater burden on a pair of walkers.
As you all know, the advantage of this route is that when you and your walking partner have had enough (or just stopped at too many pubs along the way) you can drop off the route and take the tube or train back to the station of your choice.
To aid with the planning, Richard needs just a few bits of information to help him think about the pairings, which will be finalised when we all gather at the start at Putney. Of course, if you already have your own pair sorted, let him know.
1) Let him know you are coming by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
2) Let him have the mobile phone number you will use on the day so we can keep track of any pair that walks quickly or stops too often.
3) Give him an indication of your ambition for this walk:-
a) Putney to Vauxhall which is about 7 miles
b) Putney to Waterloo which is about 11 miles
c) Putney to Tower Bridge which is about 15 miles
You should plan to carry a rucksack with some walking essentials:-
- waterproof coat
- gloves, hats, etc depending on the weather
- your lunch if you don’t intend picking it up along the way
- a water bottle, even if it is cold
- a big chocolate bar or other energy food
- your travel card / oyster / contactless card
- mobile phone
Look forward to seeing many of you on 24th March. Exact timings will be issued by email and on the MSSC Walking Section facebook group as soon as confirmed.
The Walking Section Team