Goalball UK Schools Programme, Supported by BBC Children in Need!
- A Paralympic sport, since nineteen-seventy-six
- A unique sport
- Exciting unique sport.
- Broadens the experience of sport for all pupils.
- Pupils who are blind or partially sighted (V.I.) can play sport with their sighted peers.
- Increases awareness of pupils who are V.I.
- Improves communication and teamwork.
- Most importantly, it gets pupils active!
What is goalball?
- Goalball is an exciting sport designed specifically for players who are V.I.
- Goalball is inclusive as all players wear eyeshades, meaning anybody can play regardless of level of sight.
- Goalball uses a unique ball which has audible bells embedded inside, this allows players to track and defend the ball using their hearing.
- The court is marked using tactile markings, usually string and tape. At a school level gymnastic mats can be used instead.
What can Goalball UK offer your school?
We can offer your school a bespoke package suited to your needs, with your choice of the following:
- Goalball UK School Leaders course for your staff and/or pupils.
- Goalball UK school equipment package, including teaching resources.
- Team-teach sessions working with experienced Goalball UK coaches.
- Extra-curricular activities supported by an experienced Goalball UK coach.
Every school can add the following to any package, for free!
- Great Britain goalball athlete visit.
- Entry into the school’s local goalball competition.
We also offer taster sessions for your school to try out the sport.
Benefits of goalball in schools
- Only nine percent of the population with a visual impairment participate in thirty minutes of physical activity per week, compared with thirty-nine percent of the overall population.
How can goalball address this?
- Unique and exciting way to increase activity levels.
- Holistic activity to improve lifestyles.
- Enables visually impaired pupils to play on a level field
- Ignites your other senses.
Goalball is an inclusive sport, meaning anybody can play!
If you are interested in getting an exciting sport into your school, then get in touch:
Stephen Newey, Goalball UK National Schools Officer
Address: English Institute of Sport, Coleridge Road, Sheffield, S9 5DA
Mobile: 0771 952 0528
Telephone: 0114 223 5670